Monday, March 8, 2010

Spring Fun!


It isn’t really spring, but try telling me that yesterday! Gorgeous weather and sunny skies allowed Victoria and me to ignore the cool breeze and the 60 something temperatures! It was the greatest day around here since Katrina’s wedding, last October! As if the first decent outdoor day were not enough, it was Friday!! The only thing missing were the beaches, but that’s okay- we had the secret garden!

Yes, we really do have a secret garden! But since it is a secret, I can’t tell you its exact location. But what I can tell you is that Victoria and I visited there yesterday. Victoria has always loved the outdoors as much as I do and yesterday, she was as ready to break out into the sunshine as myself. She even remembered from last year’s adventures, what to wear.

So, when we stepped onto the back porch she was ready: garden gloves on her hands, hat atop her head and my sunglasses to shade her brown eyes! She insisted we use the red wagon for our first go-round of the property; but to visit the secret garden she chose her red-rider/ pusher. I pushed it similar to the way we would push a stroller -as she pedaled simultaneously -down- down- down- over -over- around- and in! There we were, finally in the secret garden!

As soon as we entered into the garden, she jumped off her red rider, screaming joyfully as she ran toward the circle of smashed down weeds! “Grandma! Is this where the deer sleep?” She knew my answer; I had pointed it out to her last fall. We both thought the deer were smart for choosing this secret place for cozy nights. Then we walked the perimeter of this hidden place, listening to birds, looking for nests and growth. It had been two seasons ago that we last visited, but my mind was already churning about the creative additions I could secretly make in the coming days, weeks and months.

Susan has not been here yet, I thought to myself. Perhaps I have not brought her because I fear she will not enjoy this secret the way the rest of us do. She is so serious. Having fun is something she has never been good at. I don’t even know if she has an imagination at all. Then again, sometimes she surprises me when I am least expecting her to. My mind was made up; I will bring her to the Secret Garden when things warm enough for her.

In the meantime, Victoria and I spent some time working on a hidden entry to our Secret Garden. Then, it was time to check on Susan. She was too tired to play and just wanted to spend the morning sleeping. I had hoped she would at least step outside and breathe some fresh air on this lovely day. She is missing out on all the fun!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love this one! It was almost like stepping into a fairy tale! Grandma needs to step into it with the rest of us!! :-D