Thursday, March 25, 2010

Life's Changing Seasons


Hello and good-bye you last day of winter! Adios! I’ll be glad to see you go! Sayonara winter of 2009/2010. I will not miss the pain, the hardships and the sadness of this particular winter. I will not miss the coldness of it all. Adios and vaya con dios! The only reminders I want of this winter are the lessons I’ve learned! Thank you God for that. Hasta la frosta!

Howdy spring! Hello hope. Hi tomorrow! Halo sunshine! I look forward to new things, new life, new projects, new places, and new people. I look forward to looking forward! I really do! Bonjour, kumust a’, guten tag! Good day spring day! New buds are peeping from the branches and reaching from the ground to bid me good day; they whisper their greetings of hope into the wind and it floats melodiously to my ears. I kick off my shoes and dance to their melody! I cannot contain my spirit of hope, so I dance barefoot across the grass under the budding trees.

Susan is inside hiding from her last day of winter like she has most of the other winter days. She sleeps the sleep of hibernation as if that will take away the cold dead winter that she has so detested. Her curtains are closed and her clothes are thick as she cuddles up on her bed and grumbles about winter.

But it is over, Susan! Today is the last day of winter! I dance to her bedroom door and invite her outside. I ignore her refusals and I insist. I dance. Eventually she can’t resist; she wraps her scarf around her face and agrees to join me outside.

I take her hand and chant invitations of joy and warmth. She cannot deny that hope is everywhere as she cracks a smile my way. I take her hand and we dance! She spins and moves and rolls her Filipino hands! I float and swirl and step with happy feet! Our spring dance is a dance of joy and laughter and dreams! My dreams! And yes, Susan’s dreams!

We dance to the future,
whatever it holds,
whatever it’s length;
it is ours,
Susan’s and mine!

dance..
step..
swirl..
all
nature keeps rhythm..
birds chirping in..
dancing..
the dance of life..
in harmony.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This really touched my heart Mom!! I cried a bit! Your energetic zest for life and God's creation won't keep Your spirits down! I love how Your infectious joy and e*citement overflows to Grandma!! Smile's are a little harder to come by her little grumpy butt! Thank You for making these last few memories that She has so sweet and joyful!! I pray that the "riches" that are stored for You in heaven are beyond imagination!! I love You, your serving, humble, beautiful self!!

Rustique Gal said...

Karen, This is a lovely post. Your joy surely has a great effect on Susan. It's wonderful how she responded with a smile. Keep smiling and dancing!
Sherry