Monday, March 15, 2010

Alone On The Prairie


Susan and I are spending this week alone while Jeff is away at a conference in Florida. Thinking of Jeff in sunny Orlando has made it just a bit more mundane going through my daily routine. Seriously, he is feasting on seafood, delicious fish, citrus and other local specialties. He strolls to meetings under swaying palm trees, passing pools and outdoor bistros. Meanwhile at home, you will find me continually sweeping the floors under the kitchen chairs where Susan last feasted. The Little Prairie House Special for Susan and I this week is my home cooked beans and rice. And really, nothing is swaying here but Susan’s rocking chair-with her in it!

Honestly, I don’t mind Jeff’s business trips. In fact, I am happy when he gets to have a change of scenery. I got used to all of that during our military years; so these days one week is a breeze- a Florida breeze for him and a chilly Oklahoma wind for us left on the home front.

If you ask me, I think Susan gets the whole 'Jeff is out of town' concept. You know, the way children seem to know that Mommy is on the phone! They catch on real fast that when Mom is on the phone, they can get by with holy terror! When my children were small, my closest girlfriend and I made a pact that if one of our children required our attention, we would just put the phone conversation on hold and give immediate attention to the culprit. It worked! They got the message real fast that even if I was on the phone, they could still be disciplined!

Susan hasn’t gotten that message yet; I’ll be working on resending it tomorrow. Several nights ago, she spent most of the night knocking on doors while walking the halls and calling all who could hear. Her midnight enthusiasm surprised me since she had seemed so tired when she went to bed that evening. By morning, she was worn out and wanted to sleep in. That was when I went into her room to coax her up. Beside her headboard I noticed blood drippings all over the carpet. Otherwise, I saw no signs of any injury. My questions produced no answers; Susan seemed oblivious to any blood or injury. Something had happened! With Susan, these things seem to tell their own story as the clues present themselves, I have learned.

When she arrived at the kitchen table I could see dried blood that had dripped down her head and face. She seemed as surprised by it as I did. I insisted we get her showered up so that I could get a better look at her wound. She had two- one inch parallel cuts on the side of her head. The bleeding was over and there was no swelling. She seemed normal otherwise and had no idea how it had happened. Although I can imagine all sorts of scary nighttime scenarios, the fact is that whatever did happen to Susan’s head that night, will probably remain a mystery. The thought of what could have or will one day happen to her scares me; but all we can do is keep her as safe as we can.

Today she was obsessed with getting into the kitchen. First thing this morning, she poured out her whole pot of coffee that I had just perked for her and drank my caffeine-loaded variety instead! Need I tell you that it was not a good way to start the day? Imagine, me with no coffee and her jacked up with caffeine! If you are a true coffee drinker then you totally can relate to the rest of my day. She was energetic and I was not in the mood for her antics!

This day couldn’t have ended quickly enough for me. I was ready for bedtime (hers, that is) before it was even dark. It was as though we both watched out the windows for the sun to hint at setting. Me, so that I could tell her it was bedtime now. Her, so she could begin securing the house.

There is much more to tell about our first three days alone on the prairie, like her brutal fight not to let the nurse’s aid shower her today. Yes, much to tell, but at this moment I am sure that I hear someone knocking from across the house. I guess I better sneak over there and make certain that Susan is just being her unusually determined sleepless self… then again, maybe I’ll just call it a night. Morning comes awfully early around here and I need a little time to dream of myself relaxing under those Florida palm trees.

2 comments:

Rustique Gal said...

Karen, My prayers are with you, dear!
Hopefully the rest of the week will be less eventful. You are right, you can only make it as safe as possible for Susan. You can't control every eventuality. My control freak streak balks at that, but I know it's true.
Love to you-Sherry

Unknown said...

Love it!! The pictures of You two are super cute and hilarious!! We need more of these!!! :-D The week is almost over!!