Tuesday, October 6, 2009

An Evening with Susan


So, Susan is wondering where Stefanie is. “Have you seen her, Karen?” she asks me when she catches me in the hallway. “Stefanie is grown up. She lives with her family in Washington,” I remind her. She looks surprised. “What is she doing in Washington DC?” She asks. “Washington State, Mom.” I remind her again this evening. Concerned about her youngest child’s welfare, she insists on talking to her. I look at the time. If I wait another hour the call will be free; but knowing Susan wouldn’t understand that concept, I dial Stefanie’s number.

After handing the phone to Susan I head to the kitchen to load the dishwasher. I hear some of Susan’s conversation as she questions Stefanie about her life. Eventually she is repeating Stefanie’s words, as if trying to process them. “You are coming on Wednesday? Coming here- to where I live? Who is coming with you? How long can you stay? I can’t wait! Bring me some seeds to plant. Don’t forget.” Incidentally, Susan may forget a lot of things, but she never ever forgets to ask her children to bring (or send) her seeds or plants.

Susan’s voice suddenly changes to concern, “Phillip? Hospital? Tests? Well, what did the tests say? Oh, he is waiting for the tests to come back?” She attempts to clarify what Stefanie might be telling her about Phillips apparent condition. Eventually she repeats her request for seeds and hangs up the phone.

“Stefanie is coming!” she announces, as if I didn’t know. “When?” I ask, more to test her memory than mine. Eleven days! She informs me. Obviously her info is crossed since Stefanie is coming in six days to attend Katrina’s wedding that is on the eleventh. “Mom,” I wonder, “what did she say about Phillip?” “Phillip?” she tries to remember. “Did she say something about him being sick and having tests run?” I question. “No,” she is suddenly sure, “he is coming here! That is what she said. He is bringing seeds and plants for me!” “No Mom, I don’t think so.” I respond quickly, not wanting her to get her hopes up. “Yes Karen. He is coming! He is bringing plants and he will transplant them for me whether he likes it or not!” she declares. Whatever. I don’t respond. No use.

I walk into the living room where she looks up at me inquisitively, “Karen, have you seen Stefanie?” I look at her in disbelief that she could have forgotten everything about the last thirty minutes so quickly. “Let’s go outside and get you some flowers,” I bribe. I have tried to get her out into the beautiful weather all day, but the promise of flowers- works. We clip roses that she takes back inside to her alter- many roses, in fact. When I come in to check on her I noticed that my vase holding my one camellia is missing from the kitchen. “Mom, why did you take my flower vase? Weren’t thirteen roses enough for you?” I walk to her bedroom where, as I suspected, my vase is sitting by her Virgin Mary.

Susan went to her room without a big fuss tonight. She seemed to have a sort of contentment about her, after all, her room is filled with roses and two of her children will be here in eleven days with seeds and plants to add to her collection!(not) Sweet dreams Susan.

No comments: