Friday, October 30, 2009

There-With Susan


(My poetic attempt at a look at Alzheimer’s through the eyes of those of us watching on.)




A different Susan hangs out here these days;
The old one left when the new one came.
She has changed in almost all of her ways.
I find difficult- this try to explain.
The old girl just slowly fades from our sight:
As caboose leaves town on an afternoon train.
Good-byes just wait while she puts up a fight
And I stand as witness of unwanted change.

The light in her eyes is slipping away
“I know what I know!” still’s her loud proclaim.
Clear in her vision is only this day
And nothing will e’r for her be the same.
Since what we have left will not likely stay
It’s right now the fun `twill be our big claim.
A smile, a laugh, if we dare, if we may
An honorable goal each day for to aim.

Often days are played like some sort of game
Not she or I ever wanted to play.
Each move in turn now depends on our brains;
Foreseeing my 'go' makes me start to pray.
I ask God to show me right ways to engage
And guide her through this game that’s insane.
For tactics must change, we’ve learned with each stage
Of this disease, where we rest most the blame.

This storm all around us threats days all the same
But Sue fights to keep her thoughts from astray
While drops that are falling form puddles of rain.
Jared but not shaken she heads on her way;
Together we trek unfamiliar terrain.
Unknown tomorrows are each their own day.
We’ll march on ahead with our torches aflame;
This vantage shows clear- there’s no other way.











Written by me: Karen Santiago
Dedicated to her: Susan

No comments: