Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Singin' in the Rain

What could be better then waking up to a bright sunny morning, a warm breakfast and a hot cup of coffee made just the way you like it? When Susan emerged like a vampire from her cave this morning, that is what she found. Her eyes squinted to adjust from the darkness of her room to the sunlight shooting in through the open windows. Breakfast was on the table when I knocked at her door to encourage her to come out. A rare smile crossed her face when she saw me greeting her in the hallway with a song and dance to “Singing in the Rain”! She surprised me by responding to my morning cheer by joining in my song:

“Just singing in the rain…

I’m laughing at clouds
So dark up above.
The sun’s in my heart…

Let the storm clouds chase
Everyone from the place…

I’ve a smile on my face…”


She wants to go shopping since she sees on The Rachael Ray Show that Rachael has ‘the new style’ of pans with the orange handles. Susan likes them! She wants them! She wants to find them at the store! She could cook smaller amounts in them. Besides, they are cute! Susan has always liked orange. In fact, when she caught me painting Katrina’s bedroom yesterday she asked me if I would paint hers too. The thought hadn’t crossed my mind. I was preoccupied with keeping happy energy in the house with my plans for a peaceful guest room. It isn’t that I won’t paint her room- I will if she really wants it; I am just scared about the color she might pick out.

No shopping for pans or painting Susan's walls today. Although I have managed to brilliantly divert her happy energy by putting in one of the good old classic movies that Stefanie has smartly sent her. She loves romances and actually remembers the old stars, familiar shows and classic music. Susan is sitting in her rocker enjoying Cary Grant and Sophia Loren in House Boat. She is amused at the antics of the young boy in the movie as she laughs and chatters in her first language, tagalong. She does that now and then; she reverts unknowingly back to her language without realizing it. I may not be able to make out her words, but her face and attitude communicate all I need to know. It's obvious, basically she is happy- so what does it matter what she is saying.

“I’m singin’ and dancin’…”

1 comment:

Mrs. Magilicutti said...

Kare,
Have you written about the following:

Susan's awesome Philipino cooking in the 'old' days?

The shopping trip where you couldn't find your sunglasses? That one is hilarious!

Or the one where she had the guy in the bank thinking she was taking out a big loan?