Saturday, July 4, 2009

Hospital Stay

Just as I feared, I am spending this week at the hospital with Susan. We found her on the floor Sunday afternoon beside her bed, awake but unable to get up. It seems that she may have had another seizure. Upon finding her, we questioned her and checked her over before deciding that she should go into the kitchen to eat. It didn’t take long to notice that things weren’t right with her: she wouldn’t sit up straight in the chair, she leaned back as if she were reclining, ate slowly and made a mess. I ran through the gamut of tests that had become common last week. Move your arm- leg- mouth, smile, wave. She did it all.

What I found odd was her lean toward the right- her head, her waist; her legs all favored the right. She was sweet and sat in the chair eating and enjoying the view out the window. She could walk, but slowly and unsteadily. The more we watched her the more we realized this could not wait until Monday, she needed to be seen now. That is how we ended up at the emergency room on Sunday and how Susan eventually ended up being admitted into the hospital and how I ended up here for hours each day and again each evening. Deja’ Vu. Didn’t I do this about a year ago? Same hospital- same hallway- different date.

Susan is not nice today. I don’t believe anyone has given her her meds. Makes me just want to leave her mean bossy self here at the hospital and go about enjoying my day. But here I am waiting to talk to the doctors so I will know what is going on with her. Hospitals- the doctors come when they can and if I don’t happen to be here right when they are, I will miss my only chance to speak with them. And since Susan obviously won’t understand- let alone remember a thing they say, I need to be there. And prying info from the nurses seems to annoy them, as if they have some other reason for being here and my questions interfere with all that. I know, I know, they are overworked and so on- two views from different angles and such. For sure. But this is my view.

No comments: