Saturday, June 27, 2009

Sleeping Susan

Susan has been limping around the house most of the week. She is complaining about the pain in her leg-to-hip joint and seems to think that it is arthritis due to the injuries she sustained in her accident forty years or so ago. She and Deogracias had a car accident when they were stationed in the Philippines back in the early seventies. Her hospital stay was extensive and she had damaged her left foot and arm and was in contraction week after week. She used to tell me about how she had hated laying flat on that bed and would eventually lift herself up on the bar that hung above her bed. I totally get that.

Yesterday the nurse concurred with Susan’s thought about it being an arthritis problem; so why then aren’t I comfortable with that? Sure, it could just be arthritis pain acting up, but would it come on so suddenly? Maybe I am not comfortble because I am noticing that along with the pain she is doing a lot of sleeping or because I have seen her appetite decrease. I thought if she quit eating so much I would be happy, but I am not comfortable with it and am not jumping for joy. I questioned her carefully this morning as she ate her small breakfast, knowing how difficult it is to get accurate information from her. She confessed to feeling weak. I hope that my concerns are for naught. I will be ringing the doctor on Monday if she is not improving.

No comments: