Saturday, July 11, 2009

Headed Home From the Hospital

Susan is coming home from the hospital today. I am concerned and unsure about how she will take this transition. Ordinarily it might not present itself as a big deal, but this is for sure not ordinary- not this mother-in-law of mine who suffers from Alzheimer’s- nope, nothing ordinary about it. For Susan, thirteen days is a long time and a lot can be forgotten in that time. For you and me that is barely two weeks; but for her brain it is another time and place- another set of memories ago (likely forgotten ones).

It may seem odd to question: Will she remember her room? The house? Will she sleep tonight? Will she insist on going home (wherever in her brain that may be tonight)? Will she feel any sense of security and comfort at being in her bedroom and back in our home (and her home for the past year). In about an hour we will take her out of the hospital and begin the 23-mile ride home. Will she even know what is going on? I realize she will know something and feel something and desire something, but it will likely be based on inaccuracies. We shall see. I feel silly that I am apprehensive and a little nervous about bringing her home. Will I sleep tonight? Will she be nice and passive or will she be pushy and insistent? The answers to all of the uncertainties do matter to the rest of us living here.

It seems obvious to all of the doctors, nurses and social workers at the hospital that she should be in a long-term care facility. For me it seems obvious that we are getting closer to that decision, but I am not so sure that we are there yet. With all the new diagnosis’ these past few weeks (congestive heart failure, hardening of the arteries, full degenerative disk disease, shingles, drop foot …) along with all her past diagnosis’ I can’t help but fear that what we are witnessing respectfully is her descent. Others looking on see what is obvious, but perhaps to Jeff, to Katrina, to Kyle and to myself, it is hard to admit that she will not bounce back and regain her fight. I hear myself whisper inside my head, "But maybe she will; maybe she will.”

No comments: