Monday, August 2, 2010

Up and Away


So, this time I really am in the air and my getaway is for real! Well, almost…
In fact, this blog is being written from my small seat on an airplane flying somewhere over Utah- Kansas- Colorado and Oklahoma. It is true, Jeff and I went away; the discrepancy lies in the actual act of “getting away.” Although it was Jeff’s business trip to Utah that initiated the get away, I took advantage of the opportunity to tag along. It was too tempting to resist, since our daughter, Katrina, and her husband Kyle, are stationed in Utah, with the Air Force.

Our time with our children has been sweet and joyous while the scenery was awesomely inspiring. But “getting away from it all” seems to be non-existent in our lives right now. Honestly, I could write several chapters in my adventure novel- all about what we had to deal with on our “get away” this week. It became all too clear to everyone around us that really getting away is no longer possible for us, not at this time in our lives, anyway. We really had tried. I figured, if we prepared well enough, it would be easier to comfortably leave it all behind. Our caretakers at home vowed not to call us unless it was absolutely vital. They knew how much we needed the time out. In fact, only a few chosen people even knew we were leaving.

With Susan in our home, lots of preparation goes into getting away. Anyone with children or a loved one requiring ‘special care’ can fully relate to what I am saying here. It may seem to be all somewhat routine; however, with Susan it is vital to go over every possible scenario, because the truth is, every scenario is not only possible, but likely. “What if she has a seizure…a mini-stroke…wanders off…has high blood pressure…” We review symptoms and responses, nurse’s schedules and medicines. We leave lists, important numbers and medical files. And of course, we never leave town without a legal temporary Medical Power of Attorney, signed and notarized.

I will say though, that with all of that finally taken care of, when we drive out of the driveway, we are generally truly able to leave it all behind and just enjoy where we go and what we do (away from Susan). Or should I say, we used to. On this trip to be sure, Susan has caused us worries, time and many phone calls; but remember, she is not our only concern in life. Imagine that! She was not our only disruption from the beauty of Utah, the sweetness of our daughter and the awesomeness of the mountains and waters that we so enjoyed.

We are traveling home to a house without Susan- only caregivers rushing back and forth to the hospital where Susan is now a patient. The “what if’s”… happened. Perhaps it was another seizure or stroke, an infection or possibly even pneumonia. From what I hear though, Susan is keeping the hospital staff on red alert (as usual)! I admit it, I am laughing. That means she is well enough to be Susan. She is ripping at her IV’s , trying to disconnect her catheter and attempting to discharge herself from the hospital, where she is sure she does NOT need to be!

It looks like we will be flying
into Oklahoma City and heading directly to the hospital. I am sure that Kiara, Ted and Megan will be glad to see us coming. I bet they need a break. And I thank them all for working to give us one.

(The photos on this entry were all taken on out trip to Utah, including the one of my daughter, Katrina.)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'am so thankful to Ted and Megan for watching Grandma for You and Dad!! Even though Your visit wasn't the way We would imagine it to be, We had an absolute awesome time with You guys nonetheless!! <3