Thursday, July 1, 2010

Sing, Pray, Dance!

Susan’s Song:

Susan has spent more time then she would like on our back porch these post-tornado days, as we have hammered and painted our way back to 'normal'. Team work has been all the rage! Together we have tried to keep Susan happy and cheerful while we work and she waits. She has participated in this whole project by: dancing, working, eating, drinking, talking, trimming flowers and even singing. Basically, anything to keep her from going back to bed.

Ted has made several of his almost famous construction site guitars! They have been grabbed spontaneously throughout our days to keep up the cheery spirit and to keep Susan alert! She is trying to play along. This week, she held the guitar as if it were real and began singing a melody that was part real and mostly made up. I was so impressed by the tale her lyrics might portray, that I grabbed a construction pencil and began dictating as she sang. Here is how it went...

Love is a many splendid thing...No matter what happens...love is still a many splendid thing...hello young lover, whoever you are... I love you...I cannot find you anymore...You cannot change your mind... I am yours and you are mine... Forever...Love is a many splendid thing…”

(FYI: Susan finds it hard to remember that her husband passed away in 2004.)



Susan’s Prayer:
Part of the reason Susan likes to pray at meals is because she is in a hurry. Waiting for the family to be seated and gathered together is not toleable to her. Without warning, she just cuts in with a loud voice before the rest of us are fully at the table. But one day this week her prayer seemed sweet and sincere as she blessed our lunch.

“Bless Karen who gave me this food. Thank you, Lord, for her. She is a nice lady. I thank you for You too. And bless me, Lord. In the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Amen.” She signed the cross on her head and chest as she ended her prayer and began eating. I looked on with a smile. “Thank you Lord, for Susan.” I have learned to be grateful for her being here. God is good- all the time.

Susan's Dance:

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This is such a sweet blog posting!! I really love it!! I pray for many more fun filled, dancing, singing and praying sunshiny days!! Love to You all from Utah!

Becky Santiago said...

This blog is very touching and oh so sad for me. I can't imagine what you guys must be going through on a daily basis and for Susan, it just breaks my heart..not knowing where you are or why you are there, it just breaks my heart. Thank God she has her family who loves her and has patience with her and takes care of her. God Bless You and Jeff. Becky