Monday, May 10, 2010

Long Walks


I love long walks; especially long walks in lovely places. Sneaking in a walk these days is as familiar a feeling as the years when my children were small. I dress for my walk early and wait for the right time when Susan is resting in her room. Finally when she is,I take off out the door like a streak of lightning from an impending sky. A storm is brewing and the lightning can’t be stopped.

Today I strolled through my secret garden, simply enjoying the serenity of the seclusion and the new life growing from evey bush and tree. I was amazed to see what surprises were peeping up from the earth to greet me: purple iris', lillies and vinca. Eventually I was in the open field again and discovering little peaches and pears peeking through on the fruit trees. As I walked along the fence line, I impulsively began directing honeysuckle and wild berry vines between the fence wires, twining them in and out like a weaver weaving a basket. Then on the peak of the hill I examine the damage the bucks have done to the pine trees that Jeff and I had planted several years back.

I was lost in my happy peaceful world of nature where I truly commune with my God. There, it is easy to forget that I have things to do inside; I just stroll and hum and dance with the tunes of nature. It was glorious, until quite by accident I caught a glimpse of the back of my house and the shut door! I had left it open, I was sure of it! I love the breeze on a cool day rushing into my house. The closed door was not unlike a flashing red light in the middle of my paradise! It warned me that Susan was up and about and owning the house! When she is alone in the house she rearranges, desanitizes, confiscates, explores and all sorts of things that I don’t even want to know about.

Needless to say, my walk was cut short as I sprinted toward the house and without so much as a slowing down, I leaped through the back door. I immediately spotted Susan rummaging through the kitchen with a napkin ready to be filled with any edible thing she might come across. I looked at the freshly baked banana apple oat muffins! The healthy ones that aren’t as sweet as Susan likes her things. The lid was ajar! No, not my healthy muffins, I pined silently.

It isn’t as though Susan can’t have snacks. She can and she does- plenty of them. It’s just that I like my food in one piece, not touched by others and not already bitten out of. Am I being unreasonable here? In this kitchen, when lids are ajar, the cupboard and floor around them are generally speckled with crumbs. Often the food in the containers are broken, bit, or on the side- that is, if it is still there at all. Go ahead, laugh; I know it’s pretty silly. I really do. I think I should just finish my walk. It will be good for me. In fact, I will! That is, as soon as Susan pretends like she’s sleeping again.

2 comments:

Martha said...

Oh, Karen. Now you will have to blog about this "yet another" tragedy--the tornado. I pray God gives you peace, endurance, clarity and bunches of friends to help you restore your home and lives. Hugs and many prayers.

Rustique Gal said...

Dear Karen, I was so with you on your walk. It is such a beautiful time to escape and look for the miracles. Then real life comes back with a bang and you have to return to the mundane. I totally understand your feeling of not wanting your food and things messed with. Don't forget what is out there for you. Escape when you can. Your life will definitely reap the rewards of the causes you are making with Susan!
Sherry