Thursday, February 4, 2010

An Abnormally Normal Day

I walked into the kitchen last evening where Susan sat at the table (her back toward me) having a late night snack that Jeff had prepared for her. Upon hearing my voice as I spoke with Jeff, she asked me to come over to where she was sitting so that she could meet me. “Come on over here, Karen, I’d like to meet you!” she insisted. Since I had spent the entire day with her, I felt no need to formally meet her or introduce myself; instead,I spoke to her from across the room. She was in a good mood and seemed to particularly want to talk about our jobs at the factory. I played along. “What do we do at the factory?” I asked. “We make clothes!” I was hoping that would be her answer so that her confusion would make a bit of crazy sense. Really, many years ago she did work for a place called Margaret Fashions. All I know about it is that she was some sort of a boss…well, like she still tries to be around here!

I woke up early this morning to find her standing completely dressed (even her shoes), at the grotto door. She spied me down the hall and began silently but frantically hand motioning me to come to her! I knew this apparent emergency or drama that was attempting to unfold itself before my tired eyes- was a fraud, and I totally didn’t want to participate! If I ignored her she would start calling my name again (as she had just done until midnight!), so I dragged myself toward her door, without getting too close.

“Karen, they took my two babies!” She informed me in a half whispered tone, one Charlie’s Angel to another. Her eyes moved from the left to the right sides of their sockets, as if ‘they’ could be nearby. “Susan…” I began, not even knowing how to engage this conversation at this too early hour of the morning. If I had the energy I might have flipped my blonde layers around and gotten in the knee bent ‘ready position’ next to Kate (I mean Susan) and helped her find the enemy that was apparently lurking close by. Instead (and not nearly as fun), I just cocked my tangled head to one side as if I hadn’t understood her completely and simply said, “Really?” She continued with, “And I have not even eaten supper yet!” “Susan, you ate supper twice last night before you went to bed. Now it is almost morning and breakfast time will come soon. Go to bed and I will let you know when breakfast is ready.” Please!

Suspiciously, she looked into her own room and pointed. “Lie down in there? That room?” she seemed puzzled, maybe even suspicious, as if I were setting a trap for her. I looked into her lit up room, which didn’t appear to have been slept in since last evening. I was thinking something like, Kate, Jacqueline or whoever you are right now, get your @**#*@#! in that room before I call Charlie on you! But I actually said, “Yes. Your room! Right there!” She again looked suspiciously into her room before pretending to play along. “Well, if you see anyone will you tell them that there is a Filipino woman down here that has not had her supper? And will they give me my two babies back?” “Okay Susan. I will tell them. In the meantime you must go rest in your room so that they will be able to find you!” I assured her, despairingly playing along.

She appeared to go to her room as I went to mine, hoping for a little bit of peace and quiet before the day really began- just a little! But I immediately began hearing little sneaky noises calling me from her end of the house. I was concerned about her waking the others too soon, so I snuck out my door and peeped around the corner just in time to see her peeping at me from around her own corner. “Get to bed!” I shouted down the hallway, hoping firmness would convince her.

Yup, another abnormally normal day around here has begun too soon! Good morning to you all!

No comments: