Monday, September 21, 2009

World Alzheimer's Day

Since today is World Alzheimer's Day I wanted to post this poem that recently came to our attention. Sadly, the author is identified as "unknow."

Do not ask me to remember.
Don't try to make me understand.
Let me rest and know you're with me.
Kiss my cheek and hold my hand.

I'm confused beyond your concept.
I am sad and sick and lost.
All I know is that I need you.
To be with me at all costs.

Do not loose your patience with me.
Do not scold or curse or cry.
I can't help the way i'm acting,
Can't be different if I try.

Just remember that I need you,
That the best of me is gone.
Please don't fail to stand beside me,
Love me 'til my life is done.

-Author Unknown

This certainly speaks for itself. It reminds me to be compassionate as I participate in Susan's care. I'm not sure that in Susan's case I believe that the best of her is gone- it would be more accurate to say that a part of her is gone.

Be kind to those you love, we never know what the future holds!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You are a true inspiration to me! I love reading your blogs! Keep them coming!