Thursday, April 15, 2010

Heading out!


I can hardly believe it! Tomorrow Katrina arrives and Jeff and I are off to Florida! It feels like respite for us; I suppose because it is the closest thing we have had to time off. The reality is that we are headed to Florida to take care of my mother’s estate. My siblings and myself are scattered around this country, making tending to our mother’s business easy to neglect. It is hard to believe that she has been gone over sixteen months now. Her vacant house is much in need of our attention, so I hear.

So, although we are going to take care of unpleasant business, I still can’t help being excited! Other then a few days off last August for my Kentucky family reunion, I have NOT been away from Susan for more then a day or two since my mother’s death and funeral. That really is pretty bad, now that I am thinking about it. But what are caregivers to do? As all caregivers know, if there is no one (willing or able) to give us a break, we simply won’t get one.

My daughter is my rescuer! She will fly in from Utah tomorrow as Jeff and I head for the Gulf of Mexico. I am so ready to drive away in the car- not looking back, and just drive like crazy toward the beaches. I am SO looking forward to the wind in my face as I take in every mountain, every lake, every homestead, every city and town! Just the change of scenery and the freedom of the drive will be therapy for this weary soul.

I will post as I go and hope that you will enjoy the diversion as much as I hope to. So hitch a ride … and come away with me…….

No comments: